* A leader in international youth exchange programmes with more than 50 years of experience
* long and short - term exchange programmes for 2.000 participants annually
* an international Federation of National Committees in 34 countries
* an international voluntary service programme promoting young people’s active and global citizenship
* an experience based programme to enhance young people’s intercultural understanding and commitment to peace and justice
* an international network co-ordinated by national offices and
dedicated co-workers, who provide volunteers with the necessary
orientation, training and support
The International Cultural Youth Exchange (ICYE) is an international
non-profit youth exchange organisation promoting youth mobility,
intercultural learning and international voluntary service. ICYE
organises long and short-term exchanges combining home stays with
voluntary service in a variety of community service projects in more
than 34 countries around the world.
How it works
ICYE is a Federation of Full and Associate Member National Committees.
National Committees are autonomous. They develop and run the program
according to the needs of the youth of their countries, and following
policies and guidelines prepared and adopted by the General Assembly of
ICYE-GHANA joined the ICYE Federation in 1978, the first in Africa.
ICYE-GHANA is registered as a non-profit organization with the
country’s main body, The National Youth Organising Commission that
oversees the running of youth programmes in the country. ICYE-GHANA is
also listed with the Ministry of Social Welfare, a member of the Ghana
Private Voluntary Organisation in Development (GAPVOD) who serves as the
umbrella for NGOs.
Our goals are consistent with that of the ICYE Federation which are the following:
- Breaking through barriers between cultures and people.
- Justice for all persons who suffer from social,economic and personal injustice.
-To promote dialogue and contact between young people from all over the world.
- To develop the spirit of volunteerism among the youth.
- To enable individuals exhibit and acquire skills from the outside world.
- To develop youth mobility tourism.
The ICYE –GHANA National Committee is responsible for the running of
the programme. The National Committee’s responsibility include the
following: promotion of the programme, screening and selecting
candidates, organizing conferences and camps, looking for host families
and projects etc. The members also serve as consultants to the
exchangees, host families and work projects.
The ICYE Federation is a participating member of the following international organisations:
· United Nations Economic and Social Council - ECOSOC (Consultative Status)
· United Nations Department of Public Information, DPI-NGO Committee
· UNESCO (Official Operational Relations)
· UNESCO NGOs Liaison Committee
· European Commission, Directorate General Education and Culture - Youth Unit
· World Council of Churches (working relations as international ecumenical organisation)
· Co-ordinating Committee of International Voluntary Service (CCIVS)